Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Tomato Bhindi Masala

Bhindi is one vegetable I have come to believe most people like, only behind the mighty POTATO . Potato is a different story altogether, it has acquired a palce which any vegetable would be envy of. It is the Sachin Tendulkar or the Brian Lara of the vegetables. I dont see it giving away its crown any soon...

The best part about the Bhindi is it can be cooked in so many different ways to suit more or less everyone’s taste. You can make the basic one with only the spices, or the one which calls for Besan(gram flour), or stuff them with special masala, these ones known as Bharwaan Bhindi, or the ones which I relish these days...cooked with Tomatoes.

Lady Fingers
Ingredients:
200 g Bhindi (Lady Fingers)
1 big Tomato
1 Green chilly
2 T Oil
Pinch of Hing
Pinch of Jeera
¾ tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Red Chilli powder
1 tsp Coriander powder
Salt to taste

Wash the Bhindis and cut off the stem and ½ cm from the bottom. Cut them into approx. 1 cm long pieces.

chopped lady fingers
Roughly cut the tomato into small pieces. Slit the green chilly and cut it into 2 cm long pieces.

In a wok heat the oil, add hing and Jeera to it. Once it splutters add the green chilly. Sim the gas before putting the spices in it, else it may get burnt. Add turmeric, chilli, coriander powder and Salt to it. Add the Bhindis and tomato; Mix well. Keep mixing every 2-3 mins. Alternatively after adding the Bhindis and the tomatoes, you can transfer this into a dish and cook it in the microwave. I normally do this way.

Let this cook covered till they become tender.

Tomato Bhindi Masala
Serve it with Hot Phulkas.


Update: This recipe was shared by my FIL...When he told me the recipe I had my own inhibitions to try this, as I thought that this would turn out very STICKY. But he assured me that wouldn't happen. He was right...when it was ready it was not sticky at all!

24 comments:

Unknown said...

First time in your blog..I like this Bhindi recipe..Have fun blogging!

Deepthi Shankar said...

i too make tomato bhindi in a similar way . love the tangy taste of tomatoes .. lovely pic

Jayashree said...

Nice, colourful curry.....red and green is always a winner combo.

Unknown said...

Wow ... nice entry... looks yummy & colourful...

Shreya said...

i love bhindi! and your recipe is simply superb. Love the tomatoes and bhindi colours. the curry looks perfect because it doesn't look sticky and broken bhindi not seen:-)

amna said...

with tomatoes? hmm :)

lubnakarim06 said...

Tomatoes and bhindi ummm looks yummy

Purva Desai said...

Bhindi is my favourite veggie and bhindi in any form is always welcome :)
looks really tempting...
Hey check out for fun filled festive food event on the blog....

Vidhya said...

Hi Nidhi, this is really cool recipe. I love bhindi. have added u in my blogroll.

Uma said...

I make bhindi curry just the way you did. YOurs look very delicious and inviting.

Shobana senthilkumar said...

Hi nidhi,
first time in ur blog...bindhi looks so fresh and curry looks yummy too:)

Dershana said...

I make this too! The tang of tomatoes goes so well with lady's finger.

hey, thanks for stopping by my blog. but small mistake, i've used soya chunks not tofu :-)

Nidhi said...

~Dershana
I will have to blame that on my no knowledge 'at all' of the Soya products except for the Soya sauce :)

BTW me too am trying to participate in the JFI: Soya...so u can guess the great challenege I am facing.

Sum Raj said...

first time to ur blog...looks awsome and colourful...bendi is one veg that all prefer to have in pleasure...

Unknown said...

check my blog.. surprise is there...

Nidhi said...

~srikars Kitchen
Off to check your blog

Indian Khana said...

Perfect bindi sabji...we too go the same way sometimes (plus adding onion)..I just love this one...

RM said...

Hey - I made some bhindi too !
http://foodiiee.blogspot.com/2008/07/lady-finger-bhindi-okhra-masala.html
Its quite similar to what I make..however I used Kokam so that it does not turn out to be sticky..
As far as love for the vegetable goes I buy it every alternate weekend ;)
Rgds
Sam !

Nidhi said...

~Priti
Thanks Priti

~Sameera
Hmm...Kokam. I love the kokam sherbat. Kokam and Okra quite a combination..Off to your blog to check it.

Sunshinemom said...

My mom makes bhindi this way, and I just love having it with rice and little bit of oil!

Anonymous said...

It exclusively your opinion

Sabeen said...

Tomato and Bhindi Combination is really superb. This is my favorite meal. Thank u.

Anonymous said...

Top site, I hadn't come across sizzlingbites.blogspot.com before during my searches!
Keep up the fantastic work!

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I have a inquiry for the webmaster/admin here at www.blogger.com.

May I use part of the information from your post above if I provide a link back to your site?

Thanks,
Peter